
Vietnam may be one of the "Asian Tigers," but a name change for their currency might be necessary before they can really take it to the next level. Waking up in the morning, thinking "I feel like a million dong," and following through on that by exchanging $100 USD is a somewhat comical experience (which every tourist to Vietnam can't help but make fun of). Besides that though, today's post is about that sensation, of feeling like "a million bucks." A 5-day visit to nearby Halong Bay is a perfect example of that. Treated to views like these (photos at right and below), it's hard not to enjoy yourself, especially when you've chartered the boat, and all 3000 of the islands are yours to explore. The caves and islands of Halong Bay are divine, and the misty weather we got made them look very mysterious, inspiring sensations of adventure (pirates used to live in these waters).

Ultimately though, it's the little things that make travelling special. Like sitting at the front of your very own boat while the scenery does all the work, or when a complete stranger tries to force-feed you bia hoi as a demonstration of his good will. My personal favorite is when a total stranger simply smiles and waves hello. The two weeks here in Vietnam have flown by, thanks in large part to these little things, and a healthy portion of fantastically fabulous food (easily the best I've had yet). September 1st my visa expires, so I will be in China, looking for Rob and Lori at some obscure hotel. We should be just fine.

p.s. Turns out I get 90 days stay in Mongolia, visa free, so I might be home a little later than expected.

1 comment:
Mongolia for Xrams?
Anuncia
Post a Comment