Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Evicted
After several months of freeloading on the goodwill of the Chinese Academy of Sciences I've been kicked out of my apartment in centrally located Wudaokou (also known as "The Wu" by trendier expats). Now I'm staying with a friend about one-hour's commute away from Beida, while I try to figure out my next move. My prof has been dangling promises of publishing work I've barely started, but it'd mean I'd have to stick around for another couple months, plus I'd have to figure out how I'm gonna get to work everyday. The other option is to get started on my trip to Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, and eventually Europe. While the promise of adventure and excitement is sorely tempting, I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to give up on China and the career benefits of doing science here. If anybody has some suggestions or advice, I'd love to hear it, cuz I'm stuck. Incidentally, I found this oddly-timed article about decision-making and gut vs. deliberative thinking. It's in the sidebar over there called "stuff i'm reading."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, though I don't know the full extent of your situation, personally I would not hold out for promises of publishing or great scientific work being accomplished in the near future given your position and the questionable status and productivity of many institutions in China, and more importantly, whatever carrots are dangled by them, to you, the foreigner. But you probably are aware of these things by now. What is the purpose of your trip? Just follow your heart.
I like nick's advise, follow your heart.
Petons,
Anuncia
Post a Comment