Wednesday, March 07, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Different

It's about time for me to change the title of this blog, because I have a secret to share. I'm not going to finish the overland route from Bangkok to Barcelona. In fact, I already skipped an 18-hour chunk of it between Guanxi and Beijing in September. I went back to cover a bit of the distance, but who's counting? (me) So I figure might as well go all the way with it. I'm flying to Baku, Azerbaijan around the 19th, this month, which will skip Kazakhstan, Xinjiang, and a whole bunch of time zones I will hope to try again the second time around. It was hard giving up on the idea of doing overland, until I realized I had few good reasons to do it. As Dad sagely pointed out: "no condition is permanent" (leave it to Dad to have a relevant African proverb).

So, it's time to pack my bag, give away all of my personal possessions, and get back on the road again. Hopefully next post will be from the shores of Baku enjoying the breeze off the Caspian Sea, and maybe I'll explain why anybody would ever want to go. Sounds nice, don't it?

1 comment:

Nick Herman said...

Seems like a crazy country. Xiaoxin! Happy travels, I have much enjoyed reading about your time in China.