Easily my favorite "cultural activity" is trying new foods, so I naturally get really excited when those foods are also photogenic. Here's a collection of some of the most attractive, and unattractive dishes I've seen lately. The foods can reflect a lot about a culture, like how unconcerned folks are here about chowing on baby bird and chicken heads (pictures 3 & 4), or how important the presentation of a dish, person, event, etc. can be (1 & 2). Also, I've gotten some teaching on the magic behind the art, I think it's Coca Cola (5). I haven't braved the two scary-looking dishes, but I have recently added pig stomach to my list - it's really good, without the chewiness you usually get with other intestiney foods. Bon apetit!




1 comment:
I don't have so much familiarity with Northern cuisine because I haven't been to Beijing. I really like Eastern (Shanghainese food)..southern food is definitely the strangest (i.e. Guanxi, GuangDong). I generally stayed away from hearts and brains. My friend Bruno would always say that the fish's head is his favorite part to eat.."If I eat the brain I'll become smarter."
Post a Comment