Thursday, December 14, 2006

北京大学 - My New Job

Sorry about the Chinese characters, I just figured out how to type in Chinese, so I wanted to show off my new-found ability. The characters are the name of my newest place of work, Peking University, where I've joined a Quantum Optics research group with the nifty acronym CREAM. My advisor (stylin' photo) wants me to start working on a terrifyingly complicated simulation - something I had counted on never having to do. I'm not sure what it's about yet, but I think it has something to do with EIT. The University is really good though, and life was starting to get dangerously easy in Beijing. Hopefully I'll be able to extricate myself by February or March, otherwise I'll have to give up on my already trashed schedule (should've been halfway to Delft by now).

I'd hoped that at a first-class University like 北京大学 (sorry), I'd get some kind of special pass that would get me into all of the super-illegal websites. Instead, I have to sign on with a special card (which costs me money), and all I get are the state news agencies and Foxnews.com. How ironic.

Other new developments include the theft of my awesome orange folding bike, leaving me with the hand-me-down pictured below. It's not so bad, I've finally figured out how to re-attach the pedal when it falls off, fixing the tire only costs twelve cents a pop, and the chain doesn't usually fall off. More dangerous, the brakes rarely do anything at all, and the back end of the beast sounds like it could part ways with me at any point. Overall, it's better than the one my French flat-mate had to ride, who complained he felt "molested" by the seat.


Christmas is also getting into full gear here, with techno-jingle bells playing in the malls and lots of misspelled X-mas greetings painted on windows or hung from the ceiling. I was pleased to see that all my sparkling wine needs would be satisfied, if at a somewhat outrageous price (below). Everyone seems really excited about Christmas though, and I've already been invited to a number of parties, so I'll be curious to see the Chinese take on this one.


Finally, I've discovered a brilliant way to dry your shoes after washing the stink of six months out of them, below. Lori and I had experimented with another scheme where we filled my water bottle with boiling water, and wrapped it in wet stuff, but this one I was really proud of, even though it doesn't really work.

4 comments:

Web said...

One of the reasons I prefer a folding bike was because I can take it with me almost anywhere I go. How was your folding bike stolen?

Respectfully,
Larry Lagarde
RideTHISbike.com
Urging bicycling for recreation, commuting, health and a better future.

Octavi Semonin said...

I left my baby locked up outside a subway station for a bit too long. I'd been dreaming of folding the thing all the way back to America, so needless to say, this was a disappointing development. In retrospect, it was really my fault, since I could have just left it at on of the countless bicycle parking lots here in Beijing. All of them are attended by real people (a cheap commodity I guess), and some are even open 24-hours.

Although I can't access your website from behind my firewalled computer, I bet China would be a prime example of what you are promoting. Unfortunately, in an attempt to adopt all that is American, increasing numbers of Chinese are giving up their two wheels for the "freedom" of our smelly four-wheeled variety. Thrilling.

Cheers!
- Tavi

p.s. My new ride just lost a pedal, so I might get to upgrade to something a little more exciting soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope you do upgrade Tavi!

Anuncia

Anonymous said...

Tavi, I love hearing about how Christmas is jazzed up in other countries, thanks for thrilling me with that since I have been stuck here in Portlandia for over a year now. I'm getting restless. Hope you had a Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad and all that China-style.

Linds