Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Catching Up

Since the last picture I posted was from more than a week ago, here are some samples of what we've been up to so far. I could post beautiful pictures of temples and landscapes, instead I have a picture of these Korean turists. Much more enjoyable. I love Koreans. In addition to admiring the farang (foreigners), we've been eating plenty of good food and fruit. The silver lining of the monsoon season is that it is also the peak fruit season, so everything from extra-sweet pineapples to "revolting" durian is ripe (it's an acquired taste, I'm getting there). This particular specimen is called Rambutan, similar to lychee. It's scrumptious.

In addition to trying new fruits, I've eaten most of the internal organs of a duck. So eating has become one of my principal daily tasks, sometimes 4-5 times a day! I've eaten ba mee kiew moo dang almost every day (noodle soup with dumplings and bbq pork), along with a number of other Thai flavors, including banana pancakes, papaya salad, tom yum goong (I have a $1 bet going that you don't know what that means), pork skewers, I can't remember the rest.

Hopefully I'll be heading to the temples of Angkor Wat (Cambodia) in a few days, then by the end of July I should be in Laos. From there it's a hop skip and a jump eastward to Vietnam, up one of the rail spurs from Hanoi to Kunming (China), and in to Guilin to see Rob and Lori. That's assuming I can navigate the sport of border crossing into four countries in a couple months. Paperwork pisses me off. Not much else to report, more soon. I'll sign off with this girl ringing a bell for good fortune. Good luck to all of you, ciao.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Tom yum goong" -- What makes you think that is hard? Seems like my little brother, Tom, was always saying it growing up ("goong" was his stuffed monkey), so, of course it means, "Tom loves his stuffed monkey."

Now that the Asian invasion has so deeply infiltrated our economy, I shouldn't be surprised that those who like to eat stuffed monkey meat have adopted this handy little phrase. Copy cats!

Anonymous said...

PS. You can send me the dollar when you get home.

Anonymous said...

Muchas gracias por aclararme que llevas casco, la verdad es que no lo habia pensado, porque estaba sintiendo un poquillo de ..........envidia.