Lori and Rob left me with an abundance of post-cards, but unfortunately I don't have anyone's address. So if you are so kind as to e-mail me your address, I would love to send you a letter from China. (Limit one per household please!)
If, on the other hand, you prefer telephone contact, you can try my new cell phone number: +86-13127945939 (86 is the country code for China). This has superb drunk dial potential, since 1AM in the States is middle of the afternoon for Beijing (don't worry about the long distance charges, if you're lucky you won't remember in the morning). For the mature crowd, drunk dialing is where you call your friend in an excessively inebriated state (providing great entertainment to the recipient).
Work starts Monday, and I can't wait! That's all for now, short and sweet.
- Tivo
P.S. Does anybody know anything about Kazakhstan? I heard there's a ferry between Baku, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan (which is already linked with China by train). The more people I talk to about the Trans-Siberian, the less interesting it sounds.
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Tivo? Tavi?
Natalya, the Ukranian student using your bedroom this year has a friend in Eugene I believe from Kazakhstan. We'll ask him, In Azerbaijan you have Kamil, he may know.
Petonets,
Anuncia
Hola Tavi!
Tanto tiempo sin saber de ti hasta que tu madre me dio la direccion de tu blog. Pero bueno, cuantas aventuras has tenido- que guay. Bueno, espero que lo disfutes al maximo.
Besos,
Lindsay
Tavi,We are enjoying your blog so much!!! we were in China in 1985, and it is interesting how different China, and your experience, is.'s been 20 years.... No one would talk to us--afraid of being thrown in jail!--and we got around using a letter of introduction (often read upside down by officials) from our congressman at the time. an airplane ticket could only be bought from one town to another (no connecting flights), and switching planes took a few days with the distance between airport and city.we were in Tibet for 6 weeks,hitch hiking and getting around however we could--having crossed the border from Nepal. then we got so frustrated we left (Lonely Planet at the time suggested you learn: "I want to repatriate"). the food was absolutely horrible, thank goodness for the muslims, who could really cook! Jer used to force me to eat those uncooked doughy buns.....made me sick! There was no phone service. We felt the country was so far behind how would it ever catch up?, but realized when they leap frogged us in technology,they would be way ahead. It sounds like that is happening. Really enjoying the photos too. Stay safe and have fun. Lin and Jerry (friends of your parents)
Tavi,
Ni juede zhongguo shenme?
(What do you think of China?)
It's certainly an adventure, isn't it..
I hope you do make it to Kazahkstan, I thought of going there myself. Though Kyrgyzstan might be more interesting and a bit safer in some ways.
Nick Herman
Post a Comment