Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Bad

In my previous posts I think I've been a little unfair to English teachers. I need to apologize to people like Nick, who've made a serious investment in education and have probably had quite a significant impact on their chosen Chinese community. He pointed out that it can certainly be a difficult job, and that there are a number of people who genuinely are motivated to help. It's hard not to teach English in this country, the people are so eager to learn that on some level you end up doing it in one way or another. Like I said, both my job and my friends are partly based on my English, something I would love to move beyond, as Nick did. My disparaging remarks about teaching English were not directed at people like Nick though, and I'm proud that he could represent our little college (HMC) so well. There are plenty of foreigners doing it well and doing it poorly, but if you're looking for a way to get away, it remains one of the easiest ways to go work abroad. If you want to get creative, be like Nick, and go somewhere far away from Beijing - where nobody speaks English. Or, if you want to study abroad, try a program like SIT, where cultural integration is the basis for the whole program. My bad dude.

My "derision" was more directed at the rubber-stamp volunteers and party-loving foreigners who travel abroad expecting to make an impact in two weeks, or who simply import their foreign ways to wherever they go. These folks don't usually seem to have much interest in where they live, or only insofar as it benefits them (girls, shopping, or massaging their guilty conscience). These people often leave the country worse than when they came, by imprinting their culture on the people (instead of the reverse). I believe that it should be an equal exchange of culture and ideas, otherwise you're just a tourist. There's nothing wrong with being a tourist, let's just call it what it is though. Of course, I won't pretend that I'm benefiting Beijing greatly, but I do intend to become more than a just another foreigner to them. That's just my opinion though, based on some very limited experience, and more than a little frustration. Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Nick Herman said...

As a friend would say, I'm in VA "Violent Agreement." Reminds me of an English teacher's conference I was forced to go to in Yichang for the county and some of the people I encountered...i.e. the overenthusiastic Aussie who had already acquired a girlfriend in the first two weeks..

Honestly, most people who travel are probably not prepared to deal with the cultural and socio-political ramifications of what it means to leave your mark on another place and group of people, and their self-interest is probably focused mostly on seeing some cool sites and having some laughs. Truthfully, the job market in China is totally chaotic, and full of corruption and ineptitude, and many of the people who are working there are probably running away from some kind of responsibilites at home, figuring they can make an easy buck and be Mr. Rockstar (some like the attention, I typically grew very tired of it very fast).

Nick Herman said...

And I don't have so much respect either for all the people who are doing something similar at a more macroscopic level--i.e. the constant often uninformed calls from businesspeople and publications about Chin'a unstoppable economic power etc..when all they know are numbers out of context.

Anonymous said...

Since I'm a language teacher I would like to give my two cents worth about this discussion. In one of your comments, Tavi, you said how cool it is to
learn another language. If you ever teach any of the languages you know, you will see how fun it can be to help someone to communicate and think
in another language. I do understand your point about people teaching English because it is the easy thing to do.

Paul and I have been reading (actually Paul is giving the book away) Foreign Babes in Beijing. It is about many things, among them, how an American girl who goes to China to work for a firm, becomes a TV star in a soap opera
because she has the American look. Oye chico, if you are going to do something like that, please let us know, your old fogies would love to see it.

Anuncia

________________

Anonymous said...

Hi Tavi and friends! This is more a hello than a response. (Is there a book on blogging etiquette?) -----
I recently saw two T-shirts that said: Protons have mass? -------
--------------------------
--------------------------
I didn't even know they were Catholic.

AND: On a Cellular Level I'm Really Quite Busy.

What do the T-shirts say in China??

I teach a foreign language -- earth science -- in a strange and wonderful country over the hill from Berkeley. I just love showing satellite photos of China and pointing to where you are and saying things like: "Here is where my friend Tavi is. He's just like you, and there he is editing papers in English and having a great time. If you can just get over there the meals are cheap and you might get a short term job." They really love it. Cheers! Stephen