1) The job I have in Beijing so far consists in proof-reading conference papers written by Chinese scientists. Not so glamorous I know, it actually could be an interesting gig, considering what a hard time the Chinese seem to have translating into our cryptic language. Examples like equating the Jedi Council with the Presbyterian Church, or signs warning "No shitting in the toilet," reveal the challenge of understanding our language's subtleties. The lab is right next to the Physics Dept., but even if I can't get some work there, the food is apparently rather good.

2) This is easily my favorite toilet in the world. -->
3) When we were attending the Huangbaiyu wedding I spun some fire for the party, and I (accidentally) lit my back on fire! Apparently it was pretty cool looking, although I don't think I'll try it again. No burns though, except for the bottom of my foot, when I stepped on something hot.
4) Eating in a country where MSG is offered as a condiment is really odd - as if you wanted more of it in my soup (it's actually quite tasty).
5) I took a short side-trip to the North Korean border the other day, saw the Friendship Bridge "accidentally bombed by the Americans. It's got some very kitschy lighting now - the Chinese pay for the electricity. North Korea itself looks as exciting as ever, with plenty of rusty cranes and some derelict boats visible across the river.
This week is the Mid-Autumn Festival, which mostly consists of giving a lot of Moon Cakes. Much like our fruit cakes in the States, they aren't particularly good, and I can't tell if people actually want them (I don't). The festival seems to be a lot of being with your family and unless you have someone to give Moon Cakes to, kinda slow. Either way, offices are closed, so I won't get to start work until next Monday. In the meantime, I think I'll go to the beach to spin more fire.

1 comment:
Caught the back of your leg on fire too. Got that one on the video - cool looking indeed!
Post a Comment