Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Foreign Superstar

Over the weekend I met a fellow West-Coaster, Brian, who is going on five years in China. Also an English teacher (it may not be original, but it's so easy), he had lots of interesting things to say. One bit he brought up is the automatic celebrity status Americans enjoy in China. It's a good point, I just hadn't thought of it that way. Yesterday, for example, one mother approached me, asking if I'd like to become the neighborhood English teacher for the kids in our building, and today this shopkeeper offered a home-cooked dinner if I came to practice English with her son! I even get a VIP pass to one of the local bars (of course, it's me and every other white person). I now have a collection of six or seven "language friends," who've offered to help me with my Chinese in exchange for English. Of course, this can also work to your disadvantage, like when girls run away in terror when you ask them for directions (true story). The most exciting aspect of this though, is that apparently us white folks are pretty sought after in Chinese film and advertisement, sometimes earning five times as much as a Chinese counterpart. Allegedly, the weatherman on the local English-language channel used to be a TV ad-man, and knows nothing of meteorology. I still haven't tried it out, but how cool would it be to play the "Hello-Moto" man? It's enough to send your ego through the roof, and a wonderfully sad reflection on our American Image.

So, I've decided to stay in China until I feel like more than just another foreigner - which is starting to look like a multi-month investment. I'm resolute on this one though. I'll brave the cold (-20 C) if I have to, it's just that much better than being a tourist. I hope the blog might doesn't become less exciting, so to make up, every week I'll share one of my favorite unposted pictures (plus the story). Later this week I'll put up the first one; it's a little controversial, so I want to hear what you think of it. I also have this nifty Flickr account, where I'll be uploading a broader collection of my favorites. It's got this sweet map, where you can see where pictures were taken, along with pictures other folks took there.

4 comments:

Nick Herman said...

I have to say, I resent your derisive comments about the English teaching. Obviously you are speaking in generalities, and yes, there are plenty of schmucks running around teaching English because anyone will hire you if you look like a foreigner pretty much, but a) if you actually care about it, it is the hardest and the most meaningful job you could ever have, b) I like to think this was the case for me, and I did meet other people who were dedicated to it, and also happened to be intelligent, thoughtful people were genuinely trying to educate and/or have a positive impact on someway on some kids.

Octavi Semonin said...

You're right, of course, I went a little too far. Like you said, there are plenty of schmucks, and those are the folks I was aiming my comments at.

Octavi Semonin said...

p.s. Nick, I don't have any way of getting in touch with you, are you a blogger?

Nick Herman said...

csn.livejournal.com

though it's pretty boring right now since I'm a student again. If you want to read about my times in China, check last October-Feb.

Europe and Morocco is Jan.-July of 2005 if you're interested in that.